North AmericaScubaSightseeing

Wednesday, July 22, 2009- Baranof Island

Wednesday, July 22, 2009- Baranof Island

Dive #1 – Baranof Rock

We did a “hot drop” off the boat for our first dive, which involves sitting in the skiff and – while the Nautilus is in motion – sliding the skiff back into the water to take off for the dive. It prevents the Nautilus from having to anchor and gives us divers the thrill of doing some thing James Bondish… even though it all happens very slowly and safely.

This was an easy, gentle dive and – as Dave called it “The sea slug dive” since it was loaded with sea slugs as well as the huge white anemones known in this part of the world. And it was cold, cold, cold! Ten minutes into the dive I was so chilled that I immediately wondered when the dive was going to end. I was shivering pretty badly when we got back to Nautilus and I swore that I would pull out Eric’s dry suit gloves and give those a try rather than my wet gloves.

Side note: I descended for this dive and realized my camera battery had died. Again. I know I say this every dive trip, but I’ll say it again for good measure: “I need to change the battery after every dive.”

Trip up to hot springs

We ended our dive at Baranof Island where we went ashore and hiked up boardwalk to Baranof Lake and then down to Baranof Hot Springs. Baranof Island is obviously an active island and the hot springs are a wonderful treat in the chill wet of Alaska.

Alaskan flower

Pretty water droplets

Shannon at Baranof Lake

Shannon in the hot springs

Nautilus in the bay

Dive #2

For the second dive I decided to stay dry – I was just so COLD. I’m not entirely enamored with cold water diving yet, and the idea of shivering through a dive I’ve already done (they were diving Baranof again) didn’t sound as appealing as hanging with Shannon, reading my book, writing journals, and napping all bundled up on the couch. Which is exactly what I did.

As I looked through my pictures I realized I’m having a difficult time differentiating pictures from one day to the next they all look the same: tree-filled mountains, crisp bodies of water, cloud-covered backgrounds, the occasional whale or sea lion. We need some sun.

Deep Bay Fjord Entry

Rough weather and high seas were slated to move into the area so Captain Mike took refuge in another site – Deep Bay Fjord. We rolled into smoother waters during dinner to wait out he storm and enjoy the scenery of a fjord. I’ve been in two other fjords in my life – both in New Zealand – and have never actually seen the tops or details of the fjord because they were covered in fog and mist. This fjord was no different; we huddled out on deck, taking pictures of waterfalls and trees and the occasional jelly cloud (more on that tomorrow). But no fjord tops. We hoped for better weather soon.