AdventureCentral AmericaNicaragua

Saturday, November 29, 2008 – San Juan del Sur to home

Saturday morning we said our goodbyes to Mark and Mirielle and climbed into our taxi for the 2.5 hour drive to Managua for our 3:40PM flight. I was feeling really rough, but at least I was keeping Gatorade down.

There are definitely benefits when you travel with a doctor. Shannon had given me some medicine that completely knocked me out, so I slept for much of the drive. We arrived in Managua around 1PM and checked in early, then Shannon and Mindy parked me in the waiting area with our carry-ons and went off to partake in some last-minute shopping. I promptly fell asleep across our daypacks.

When our flight finally boarded it was already late so we were delayed getting into Miami. Not good since we had to clear customs, pick up our bags, and get to our connecting flights in a very short timeframe. We would have made it without problem if it weren’t for American Airlines. After all the bags had come and gone, about 30 of us were left waiting and waiting and waiting – we were also the same people who had checked in early. AA kept saying “the bags are on their way”, but after 30 minutes of waiting they finally said that the bags didn’t make the flight. We were pretty ticked off. Even more ticked off when we left the area to declare our missing bags, and were then told we had to declare them at our final destination, and then had to pass through security AGAIN. We – who are pretty laid-back travelers – were seriously stressed out. Granted that there are worse things than being stuck in Miami, but being stuck in Miami to travel on the Sunday after Thanksgiving is really not what we wanted.

But somehow we made it. Shannon sweet-talked someone in security to expedite us through, and she just made her flight in time for boarding. Mindy and I had to run to ours (after I’d been stopped because of the Clinique eye makeup remover I’d bought in Duty Free, that was more than 3oz) and then discovered that our flight was delayed 15 minutes – then 45 minutes – then 2 hours.

I got home at 2:45 in the morning, filthy, sick and without bags. But at least I was home!